Successful Soil Practices & Role of Water
February 9, 2019 9:00 AM
Gutierrez-Hubbell House, 6029 Isleta Boulevard SW
Bernalillo County Open Space is excited to present three special events series this spring for residents interested in gardening, sustainable landscaping or the history of their local community.
All events are free and held at the Gutierrez-Hubbell House, 6029 Isleta Boulevard SW in the South Valley.
The Backyard Farming Series returns this spring with two educational workshops, led by knowledgeable experts with practical demonstrations. The series, developed in partnership with the Hubbell House Alliance, help residents transform their own backyards into thriving urban oases of food, medicine and wildlife habitat.
Landscape for Life, also developed in partnership with the Hubbell House Alliance, returns this spring with a five-session series on designing sustainable landscapes. Building on each session, the series teaches residents techniques on sustainability, permaculture and wise use of natural resources for their home. Participants who attend all five sessions will receive two free 55-gallon rain barrels from the BernCo Water Conservation Program.
All sessions are held from 9 a.m. to noon. Landscape for Life sessions this spring are:
- “Sustainability in Home Gardens & Role of Soil in a Sustainable Garden” on Saturday, Feb. 2.
- “Successful Soil Practices & Role of Water” on Saturday, Feb. 9.
- “Successful Water Practices & Role of Plants” on Saturday, Feb. 23.
- “Successful Plant Practices & Selecting Materials for Sustainability” on Saturday, March 2.
- “Recycled and Natural Building Materials & Complete Garden Design” on Saturday, March 30.